Sunday, September 15, 2013

There Goes The Neighborhood



Many of us have heard the saying, “There Goes the Neighborhood…”  It is a common consensus that the saying definitely generates negative connotations.  This statement was originated as an expression of resignation and disapproval of racial minorities moving into previously all white neighborhoods,  It also means that something has just happen that will damage the quality of life in that social environment.

 
The first time I remember hearing someone use the saying “There Goes the Neighborhood...” I was a young boy of the ripe age of twelve and my family and I was over my cousin house.  The adults were in the house talking and I went to sit outside on their porch.  My cousin who was only two years older than I told me that I did not need to be sitting outside on the porch, because their neighbors did not know me and that they would be afraid.  I did not totally understate what she was trying to say, until I heard two of their neighbors implied that just because I was sitting on the porch, it would not be long , before the whole neighborhood was going to be filled with African Americans sitting on their porches and bringing down the property value.  Then one of them said loud enough for both of us to hear, “There Goes the Neighborhood!”

 

So, what is it about certain people that causes other people to instinctually say “There Goes the Neighbor…”, when they see or hear about them?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment